Monday, March 8, 2010

In light of the recent Oscars, 2010.

I have found an interesting article discussing the existance of racism, inequality and imperialism in highly successful motion pictures. The author argues that while it is great to shed light on issues that would otherwise go unseen, they are once again told through the middle-class man's story.
Also, it seems that at the end of the film, the poor, submissive character picks himself up from the impoversished ground from which he lays. The problem lies in the fact that the audience is primarily middle or upper class viewers who are called to action. Sound familiar? Just as we have discussed in class, it seems the "first" world is always in the position to "save" the "third" world from themselves. That idea is not natural, it has be constructed using an imperialist ideology.

My point here is not to boycott the film business... I am an active participant here... I have watched avatar and felt hatred towards the colonialists, only to realize I am one of them. All I am suggesting here is that we may question the origins of our motives surrounding humanitarian work.

Here is the link...

http://www.rabble.ca/news/2010/03/altruism-oscars-legitimizing-racism-inequality-and-imperial-design.  

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sam, what film are you talking about in the post? Avatar? And what does that cute little cartoon at the top mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I have not written sooner!!
    Films such as Precious and The Blindside this past year, and films like Slumdog Millionaire last year.
    And the cute little cartoon at the top means whatever you want it to mean. Personally, I just like it because I wish I could just stumble upon the meaning of life like White Ninja did...

    ReplyDelete